Saturday, August 9, 2008
Tired of the Apathy
One of the greatest evils is when good people stand idly by and do nothing. I refuse to be one of those people. Childhood cancer is a big issue in this country that people just don't want to deal with. I know that it is hard to face it. I know that it is the most heartbreaking thing to look at a child who is dying and feel helpless. But we are not helpless. The more we raise awareness, the more we fund the research, the more we donate to the cause, the more we can help. There are very few programs set up in America for childhood cancer awareness. One of the best is Alex's Lemonade Stand www.alexslemonade.org. Another is Candlelighters http://www.candlelighters.org/. They are amazing organizations and I urge you to check it out. I have heard of other countries raising so much money, getting so many donations, that they don't even have room for all of the equipment that they get. In Canada, the have a great nationwide race to raise funds. It is called the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride http://www.nationalkidscancerride.com/. Why am I posting this blog now? Because I am realizing how badly people will turn a blind eye to something that they deem too difficult to handle. I have tried to get people involved for Makayla's family, but no one seems to care that much. Just words of support can mean so much to the families that are suffering. My cousin Heather has a prayer request page that she asks people to post to so that we may all pray for and support each other. Here it is http://pub38.bravenet.com/guestbook/3232230877 and I am also going to list it on our favorite pages. So I urge you to take a moment and help, whether it be through words of encouragement, through signing a petion like this one http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/CureChildhoodCancer, or even donating to causes or families who truly need our help. Here is a site with ideas to help raise funds http://www.crmagazine.org/home/magazine/summer-2008.aspx?d=778. Remember, you CAN do something! Just take the time to stand up and help! Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment